[Member Exclusive] Engagement Programme Series III – How to Write Award-winning Research Reports – The SUCCES model in crafting an impactful presentation
CPT/CE Eligibility (A Recognized CPT Provider)
|PL (CE) hour(s)||1|
|RBV CPD hour(s)||1|
The SUCCES model in crafting an impactful presentation
We, CFA charterholders, produce investment research reports to sell ideas. Many would target external clients. A few would cater to internal investment committees. Some use models and numbers to preface their theses, while others rely on catchy phrases and buzzword-of-the-time to draw attention.
Here are a few quotes on performing research and writing reports:
“(on how to write a good research report) Don’t do what everyone else is going. If you’re to add value, your content needs to be different and, optimally, your presentation of it should be too.” – Tom Brakke, CFA
“Don’t worry about doing research, just search.” – Austin Kleon, Author
“Research is formalized curiosity. It is poking and prying with a purpose” – Zora Neale Hurston, Author, Anthropologist and Filmmaker
Investment research falls into a unique category and may differ from that in the academia or scientific reports, as well as commercial or market studies. In addition to practicality, investment research requires the perseverance to digging deep and asking many questions, so that investors can gain more insights to make better-informed investment decisions.
In this series of webinars, the Society has invited a number of speakers to share with us:
– their first-hand experience in preparing and writing the pieces, and
– how to help edit and refine reports and turn them from gold to platinum
Through this series, we can understand the unusual tricks and so-common pitfalls in writing a piece of award-winning research.
At this session, the speaker will touch on the SUCCES model (developed by a renowned psychologist from Standard and popularized by the best-selling book Made to Stick) in crafting an impactful and memorable presentation/publication. Most researchers focus on content. Having correct and high quality content is a given. However, to influence, to impact, you need to first attract attention and be remembered. The talk will focus entirely on crafting the “context” of a presentation/publication. According to research, 80% of why we trust a research is dependent upon the context rather than the content.
About the Speaker
Mr. Jason Hsu, Ph.D.
Chairman and CIO, Rayliant Global Advisors
Co-founded Research Affiliates
Professor of Finance, UCLA Anderson School of Management
Jason is founder, chairman and CIO of Rayliant Global Advisors (RGA), a global investment management group with more than US$26.5 billion in assets managed using its strategies, as of Dec 31, 2021. Rayliant applies quantitative methods to access behavioral-based alpha prevalent in inefficient markets like China. Jason also co-founded Research Affiliates, a smart beta and asset allocation leader with over US$169 billion in assets managed using its strategies.
Jason sits on the editorial board of the Financial Analysts Journal, the Journal of Investment Management, the Journal of Investment Consulting and the Journal of Index Investing. He is an adjunct professor of finance at UCLA Anderson School of Management, and a visiting professor at Tsinghua University (China), Kyoto University (Japan) and National Chengchi University (Taiwan).
Jason has published more than 50 journal articles and is a contributing author to nine handbooks in finance and economics. He has won two Graham and Dodd Scroll Awards; one Graham and Dodd Reader’s Choice Award; one Graham and Dodd most prestigious award, three Bernstein Fabozzi/Jacob Levy Awards; and three William F. Sharpe Awards. He also co-invented the Fundamental Index, awarded best index by Global Pensions magazine in 2007, 2008 and 2009.
Jason received his Ph.D. in finance from UCLA Anderson School of Management. He received his M.S. from Stanford University and B.S. from the California Institute of Technology.
Rating General- Material presented will be basic and of interest to a general audience having no background in the area.
CFA Societies Global Passport Program
CFA Society Hong Kong has participated in the CFA Societies Global Passport Program which allows CFA society members to enjoy local society member rate at selected events like this luncheon. Members of non-CFA Society Hong Kong CFA Institute societies qualify to attend this event at CFA Society Hong Kong member rates. Please contact CFA Society Hong Kong at email@example.com to register
- This Webinar is a complimentary event for all members.
- Upon registration on the Zoom platform, each registrant will be given a unique link for each session, please do not share the link with others.
- Members will be entitled to receive CPT Attendance Letter at NO extra costs after attending the FULL webinar. Please see below for further details.
- To qualify for CPT/CE hours, all participants must attend the full webinar. After the webinar, Society staff will verify participants’ check-in and check-out time from the registration system for the purpose of issuing CPT Attendance Letters. No pro-rata credit hours will be awarded.
- CFA Societies Global Passport Program Eligible.
- The event will be conducted in English.
- The webinar link and email confirmation will be sent to registrant upon successful online registration.
- A webinar reminder will be sent out 1 day before the event. If you have not received the email confirmation and reminder, it is the delegate’s responsibility to contact CFA Society Hong Kong to confirm their place.
- The webinar will be conducted on Zoom.
- Please log in the webinar link 10 mins in advance of the session start time to allow some time to solve the technical issues (if any) and the webinar will start promptly at 7:00 PM.
- For attendance-taking purpose, participants’ names and company names (if any) may be given to the speaker of this event.
- CFA Society Hong Kong will closely monitor and assess the ongoing situation of COVID-19 in the community. Should there be any changes to the event dates and other arrangements, we will notify participants via SMS and/or email. Notices will also be posted on Society’s website. Please stay alert with our notifications.
- The event organizers reserve the right to change the format, date or speakers of the event due to unforeseen circumstances without prior notice.
- In case of dispute, the decision of CFA Society Hong Kong is final, and no further correspondences will be entertained.
- Please note that no request for an attendance letter will be processed after the event date & registration deadline.