Data Governance in the Age of AI: Balancing Innovation and Regulation
CPT/CE Eligibility (A Recognized CPT Provider)
|PL (CE) hour(s)
|RBV CPD hour(s)
This session explores the critical role of data governance in an AI-driven financial landscape, particularly focusing on its impact on investors. Experts in data governance will discuss the importance of quality data, ethical considerations, and regulatory requirements essential for AI models in finance. Special emphasis will be on data governance laws in various jurisdictions, highlighting their influence on AI deployment in financial services. The session will feature a speaker sharing experiences in applying AI to investment projects, offering valuable insights into optimizing investment strategies through AI. Additionally, the evolving landscape of data regulation in different jurisdictions will be explored, providing a broad perspective on how these regulations impact cross-border financial activities and AI applications in the finance sector. Experiences from working with the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) and Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX) will also be shared, providing practical perspectives on data governance in a regulated environment. Data scientists will contribute by illustrating how data governance affects AI model development and deployment. This comprehensive discussion aims to equip investors and finance professionals with a nuanced understanding of balancing innovation with regulation in the age of AI.
Simple lunch and drinks will be served at the event.
About the Speakers
Head of Asia Retail and Retirement Advanced Analytics
Manulife Investment Management Asia
Mr Alex Hung a professional practitioner and an educator in Applied AI, Advanced Analytics, Data Management, and Digital Transformation in the Financial Services Industry. He is currently the Head of Asia Retail and Retirement Advanced Analytics at Manulife Investment Management Asia, Part-time Lecturer at Lingnan University and HKU SPACE Community College.
He has extensive experience leading AI Advanced Analytics driven digital transformation initiatives which transformed marketing operations, sales management, customer experience management and contact center operations with proven ROI Value using AI and Data. He has been leading different scale of Data, Applied AI, Digital Transformation in Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, and China.
He is a founding member of Data Literacy Association, a Council Member of the AI Specialist Group at Hong Kong Computer Society, and council member of Generation.org Digital Programs Advisory Council. Mr Hung received his Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and Bachelor of Computer Science from the City University of Hong Kong.
Data & AI
Global Partner Solutions
Microsoft Hong Kong
Shing is a visionary leader with two decades of experience across Europe, US and Asia Pacific in FinTech, Data, AI and Cloud.
He is a Cloud Solution Strategist (Data & AI) at Microsoft. Driven by his passion in unlocking actionable insight from data, he takes pride in providing the end-to-end solution to accelerate customers ‘data and AI journey with measurable business outcome. Recently, he also takes on the role of AI Champion for Greater China Region of Microsoft to help empowering people to achieve more with less, representing the company to speak in 60+ C-level events in 9 months.
Data & AI is not an one off project, it is an ongoing program. All of these are made possible with cultural-fit data strategy, self service data operating model and automated data governance, backed by the future proof cloud platform. With his previous experience as the Chief Data Officer at Hang Seng Index, Head of Data Governance at HKEX and APAC Director of S&P Global (IHS Markit), he is happy to share the latest trends and challenges in enterprise scale data & AI journey. Shing is also one of the founders for Data Literacy Association (DaLa) – “Empowering everyone to speak Data”. He is the author of two books: “ESG-An illuminating journey” & “Data Stewardship in Action: A roadmap to Data Value Realization and Measurable Business Outcomes”.
MBA, PMP, CDMP, LSSBB
Assistant Director, Data Governance, HKSTP
Lance is a Data management Professional with 15 years + experience in data governance, privacy, and auditing. He is now serving as Assistant Director, Data Governance & Management at HKSTP. His main role is to foster rightful and compliant data collaboration to fuel innovation and growth in Hong Kong’s digital ecosystem. He works closely with startups, corporates, and regulatory bodies to promote responsible and efficient data sharing practices, working on various initiative like Open Data, cross border data, etc.
Prior to joining HKSTP, he worked at HKMA and HKEX and held various pivotal roles focused on data management and data privacy. He had the opportunity to develop and implement robust data governance frameworks, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and industry best practices. He also played a key role in managing data privacy risks, safeguarding sensitive information, and establishing data protection measures.
Bosco Chan (moderator)
Global private bank
Mr. Bosco Chan is currently a Vice President at a global private bank. He is responsible for providing securities based lending solutions, covering North Asia. He was previously the Unit Manager in the Commercial Banking and the Deputy Team Head in the Business Banking. Chan is passionate about continuous learning and volunteering. He is the organizer of the International AWM Ops Associate Forum at a global private bank, the Committee Member in Continuing Education of CFA HK. He holds a Bachelor of Business Administration in Information Systems and Bachelor of Engineering in Software Engineering from the University of Hong Kong.
Rating General- Material presented will be basic and of interest to a general audience having no background in the area.
CFA Societies Global Passport Program
CFA Society Hong Kong has participated in the CFA Societies Global Passport Program which allows CFA society members to enjoy local society member rate at selected events like this luncheon. Members of non-CFA Society Hong Kong CFA Institute societies qualify to attend this event at CFA Society Hong Kong member rates. Please contact CFA Society Hong Kong at email@example.com to register.
- Registration is requested, no walk-in will be entertained.
- Only registered participants are allowed to stay and attend the event.
- Please take good care of your belongings. CFA Society Hong Kong is not responsible for any personal loss.
- If you have any discomfort or flu symptoms, please DO NOT participate in the captioned activity.
- In the event of a dispute, the decision of CFA Society Hong Kong shall be final and binding.
- The event organizers reserve the right to change the format, date of the event due to unforeseen circumstances without prior notice.
- Members will be entitled to receive CPT Attendance Letter at NO extra costs after attending the FULL webinar. Please see below for further details.
- To qualify for CPT/CE hours, all participants must attend the full event. After the seminar, Society staff will verify participants’ check-in and check-out time from the registration system for the purpose of issuing CPT Attendance Letters. No pro-rata credit hours will be awarded.
- CFA Societies Global Passport Program Eligible.
- The event will be conducted in English.
- For attendance-taking purpose, participants’ names and company names (if any) may be given to the speaker of this event.
- Should there be any changes to the event dates and other arrangements, we will notify participants via SMS and/or email. Notices will also be posted on Society’s website. Please stay alert with our notifications.
- Please note that no request for an attendance letter will be processed after the event date & registration deadline.
- For non-members & guests, registration is only confirmed upon receipt of payment.
- An additional administrative charge of HK$50 will be charged for participant who registers on the event day.
- HK$50 walk-in surcharge is imposed on all fees listed.
- To cope with the growing trend of going cashless, cash and cheque payment is strictly not accepted. Please ensure the online payment is successfully completed, otherwise, the registration may not be processed.
- Registrations should be paid in full before the commencement of the event. Immediate payment is required upon email confirmation. Should the registration fee remains outstanding, CFA Society Hong Kong reserves the right to disallow entrance to the event.
- Full amount will still be charged for no-show or enrolment made after 8 Mar 2024.
- An administration fee HK$50 will be charged for any cancellation of confirmed enrollment made on or before 8 Mar 2024. All cancellation requests must be made in writing and be confirmed by email from Society Hong Kong.
- Refund of the event fee (less an administration fee of HK$50 per person) will be given for cancellation received on/before 8 Mar 2024.
– For payment made by credit card, a refund will be handled through the bank, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing. The amount will be refunded to the paid credit card account.
- No refund will be given for cancellation received after 8 Mar 2024.
- Substitutions are allowed. Please notify us prior to the event. Non-member rate applies if the substitute is not a CFA Society Hong Kong member.
Personal Information Collection Statement
- CFA Society Hong Kong intends to use the personal data (including but not limited to your name, email address(es), mobile number and/or social media) to inform you, where relevant, of members’ benefits, goods, services facilities and events organized or provided by CFA Society Hong Kong or other organizations. Members and registered persons may opt out of receiving such materials at any time by sending an email to CFA Society Hong Kong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By registering for this event, you confirm that you and your guest(s) consent to appearing in any official event photographs and video footage.
- The photographs and video footage can be used by the Society for marketing and publicity in our publications, on our website and in social media, or in a third-party publication.
- In addition, photographs or video footage may be taken by other event attendees and publicly shared, for which the Society cannot be held responsible.