The COVID-19 pandemic has created challenges and uncertainty for CFA Program candidates and exam administrators. CFA Institute has made a number of changes to turn these challenges into positive opportunities.
CFA Institute is modernizing the exam to a computer-based testing (CBT) format to make it more accessible and convenient for candidates around the world. All Level [I/II/III] CFA Exam will shift from paper-based (PBT) to computer-based testing (CBT) starting in 2021.
As the local society of CFA Institute in Hong Kong, we are pleased to share the updates on this important transition and will continue to provide full support to our candidates. We also understand you may have concerns about the upcoming exam arrangement with regards to COVID-19, and the options you have. Please find more information below.
Key changes are as below (Source: CFA Institute, update as of 19 January 2021):
CFA Level I exam
The first computer-based CFA level I exam took place in February 2021.
CBT is offered for four windows each year in more locations around the world.
For the 2021 exam
Level I: February, May, July, August and November
For 2022 exam
Level I: February, May, August and November
CBT will comprise of 180 multiple choice questions (MCQ), compared with 240 MCQs for the paper-based testing.
Candidates who pass the Level I CBT exam will have to wait a minimum of six months before the Level II exam is opened for registration, i.e. candidates who pass the Level I CBT exam in May 2021 can register for the Level II exam held in February 2022 at the earliest. [click here for details]
Candidates who do not pass Level I will have to wait for a minimum of 6 months to retake the exam.
Quick Start Guide (Level I)
CFA Level II & III exam
- The first computer-based CFA level II and III exam took place in May 2021.
- CBT is offered for two windows each year in more locations around the world.
For the 2021 exam
Level II: May, August and November
Level III: May, August and November
For the 2022 exam
Level II: February, August and November
Level III: May and August
- Each exam window is up to ten days long, depending on the location
- Candidates cannot register for adjacent exam windows, i.e. candidates who pass the Level II CBT exam held in August 2021 can only register for the Level III exam held in May 2022 at the earliest. [click here for details]
- Quick Start Guide (Level II and Level III)