Being the Local Host of the CFA Institute Research Challenge (the Challenge), CFA Society Hong Kong would like to seek our members’ interests to serve as the industry mentors.
The Challenge is an annual initiative designed to promote best practices in equity research among the next generation of analysts. This is a competition between university-sponsored Teams that research a designated publicly traded company, prepare a Written Report on that selected company and then present their findings to a panel of Judges. There are four levels: Local, Sub-Regional, Regional and Global. Winners at the Local level advance to compete against Teams within their geographic region at the Sub Regional and Regional level. Winning Teams at the Regional level advance to compete at the Global level. One Team is designated the ultimate winning Team at the Global level. All participants are introduced to and held to the standard of the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct.
Each team consisting of 4-5 students (may consist of undergraduate and graduate students) will be assigned an industry mentor who mentors the team during the research process, reviews and critiques the team’s company analysis report. We are now looking for volunteers who are:
- Preferably sell-side analysts with 10 years of working experience (preferably CFA charterholders)
- With the enthusiasm to teach best practices and promote ethical decision making to the next generation of financial professionals
- Willing to attend the subject company’s virtual presentation with the team(s) (approx. 2-2.5 hours)
- Willing to contribute 6-10 hours (not including the company presentation) to provide guidance to the team(s) to do their investment research report. The hours would include emails and phone calls.
- Volunteer industry mentors will be entitled to obtain 6-10z CPT credit hours (recognized by the Securities and Futures Commission and number of hours would depend on the number of teams assigned) at the end of the event.
|Aug 2022||Invitation to Hong Kong & Macau Universities|
|Oct 2022||Opening Ceremony|
|Mid Nov 2022||Subject Listed Company Presentation|
|Nov 2022 – Jan 2023||Students to work on the investment research reports|
|Early Jan 2023||Students to submit research reports for grading|
|Feb 2023||Report Presentation and Award Ceremony|
The success of the annual Research Challenge depends on our volunteers to contribute their time and expertise. We may have 20-30+ teams from different universities in Hong Kong participating in the Challenge, thus we are looking for 20-30+ industry mentors.
If you are interested in being one of volunteer industry mentors, please click here to provide us some details about your professional experience on or before Friday, 23 September, more details about the event will be followed later.